Bel Red Energy Blog
Here at Bel Red, we’re preparing for the winter months ahead, getting our customers ready as well. We’re committed to providing the most knowledgeable advice and the most professional, courteous and fair work for all of their heating, cooling and energy needs.
We’re excited to be able to offer up some very special (and exclusive!) deals for our customers through our Internet Specials. Below is a brief overview of the current specials. Call us today to learn how you can take advantage and prepare yourself and your loved ones for a more comfortable winter.
Pre-Season Special Event Pricing on Rheem 95% high efficiency furnaces! Get a variable speed high efficiency gas furnace for only $4799 installed (Regular $5800). Get a single stage high efficiency gas furnace for only $3499 installed (Regular $4999). Please note, we only have a limited quantity on hand, so call us today or stop down to take advantage of this limited time offer. Click here for details.
Buy a heat pump or air conditioning at regular price and receive a basic furnace replacement for free! Based on a Single-stage, Goodman, like & kind, replacement of the existing furnace. This offer excludes items such as venting, ductwork, electrical and permits. Consumers preferring to upgrade their furnaces may also opt to pay the difference between the offer's basic furnace and their preferred furnace (such as variable speed). Contact a Bel Red sales consultant for full terms and conditions.
Great deals on Daikin High Efficiency Ductless (single zone) heat pumps! You can save between $1,200 and $3,500 on these great heating systems (limited quantities available). There is also an additional $1,200 rebate through PSE on approved systems. These are great for rooms that are generally too hot or too cold and need their own temperature control, and are also great on additions!
Get a Honeywell Lyric Thermostat for your home for only $399 (normally $672) with a Bel Red furnace maintenance. The Lyric thermostat is ideal if you are on the go and want optimal comfort and savings without having to think about it. Instead of operating on a fixed schedule, Lyric uses your smartphone location and can automatically adjust the temperature as you come and go – delivering comfort when you're home and savings when you're away.
If you’re interested in taking advantage of these and other great offers, just get in touch with our team today and mention these great internet specials. Thanks for allowing us to serve you this winter season!
Sometimes there aren’t a lot of alternative heating and cooling sources out there for consumers… or so they think. One of these options, ductless mini-split heating systems, are starting to rise to the top of the list of alternatives. Many are starting to realize the benefits of these systems—ranging from increased control over home comfort to increased efficiency. Installation of mini-split models, such as those manufactured by Mitsubishi (which Bel Red sells and installs), are a great step toward increasing the overall levels of comfort in your home—regardless of the season.
Here are a few benefits that the installation of a ductless mini-split system can bring to your home as it pertains to home comfort:
• Targeted heating and cooling for hard to reach places in your home. An ultra-quiet fan evenly circulates air, eliminating hot and cold spots in rooms and improving the comfort of your main living spaces. Homes often have “trouble rooms” when it comes to heating and cooling. Additions, sunrooms, bonus rooms or loft spaces often present many challenges when it comes to keeping them at a desired and comfortable temperature. Whether through inefficiency or poor design, duct-based heating systems or electric baseboard heating can sometimes fail when it comes to proper, whole-house comfort. Mini-splits heat pumps are adjustable by area of the home or room, so temperature management becomes a breeze.
• A near silent comfort. Ductless mini-split heat pumps not only increase the temperature control you have in your home, they also eliminate the loud noises that are sometimes associated with old furnaces and other heating systems. These systems work extremely quietly, which adds to the level of comfort you experience when heating or cooling the home. The Mitsubishi ductless mini-split models that Bel Red sells and installs have virtually no compressor or fan noise.
• Cleaner air means a healthier, more comfortable home. Most mini-split heat pump models come with multi-stage allergen filtration mechanisms, making them a very clean alternative to traditional heating and cooling systems. With other duct systems, many homeowners neglect to clean the ductwork, causes dust, dirt and allergens to build up inside over time. This obviously causes dirty or unhealthy air to be pushed out into the home, potentially causing respiratory issues for individuals in the home. Mini-splits with filtration offer a clean air alternative, increasing comfort in more ways than just managing temperature.
Bel Red Energy Solutions is a Mitsubishi Top Contractor, having received the highest level of accreditation from Mitsubishi Electric HVAC Division. We have invested our time in hands-on training at a Mitsubishi Training Center in order to provide you with the most professional quality installation and maintenance for your Mitsubishi HVAC product.
Reach out today if you’re interested in learning more from our team here at Bel Red about how ductless mini-split heating and cooling systems can bring you added comfort and efficiency.
Electric generators can be saviors during power outages—especially when things start to cool down outside like they are right now and into the winter. They can keep the heat and lights on, keep food from going bad, provide a sense of comfort and ease and so much more. However, it’s important to know that the operation of these units shouldn’t be handled by anyone who doesn’t know the proper safety precautions that go along with running a generator.
In one of our recent blog posts, we mentioned the importance of making sure your backup electric generator is in proper working order before the cold winter months arrive. This preparation should include many safety items to cross of the list as well.
According to the US Consumer Product Safety commission, electric generators are one of the biggest culprits when it comes to non-fire related CO (carbon monoxide) deaths and injuries in homes and apartments. Some studies even suggest that these units cause more CO related harm than furnaces, water heaters and ovens combined.
There’s a long list of items that owners of electric generators should keep in mind before, during and after using this equipment—all of which should be carefully read and understood from the generator’s owner’s manual. But, we thought we’d share a few tips on the blog to keep in mind on this topic.
- Keep electric generators a safe distance away from your house. Generators should always be kept outside at least 20 feet from any space in which people live or spend a lot of time. This safe distance prevents inhalation of this harmful, odorless gas and can prevent other accidents associated with generators.
- Never place a running generator inside an enclosed space. While it may seem like common sense to avoid, many electric generator owners leave this equipment in enclosed areas such as garages and sheds while running. Even if doors are open in these enclosures, CO from the generators can build up quickly air and cause a great deal of harm, or worse.
- Make sure your CO detector is on and working. Whenever you find yourself in need of an electric generator, it’s a good idea to make it a habit to test your home’s carbon monoxide detectors before use. Even if you’re sure it’s in proper working order, a simple double-check test can’t hurt.
- Hire a professional electrician or contractor to install it correctly. Professionals, such as our team at Bel Red, have a high level of training when it comes to these types of home safety issues. Aside from risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, electric generator installation comes with risks of electrocution. Make sure your generator is properly installed if it’s hooked up to a permanent power source for your home.
We hope you’re able to avoid major power outages, but unfortunately that’s next to impossible over a long period of time. It’s always good to be prepared with equipment like electric generators. It’s even better to make sure you’re properly prepared to use them.
As we recently mentioned in a post about gas fireplace inserts on our BelRed blog, fall is upon us. The night temperatures are beginning to drop and it’s time to start thinking about how to make your home as efficient as possible this winter. As you’re aware, heating your home and keeping it performing at a high standard requires preparation. In this blog post series, we’ll bullet out some tips to make sure you’re ready for anything winter can throw at you when it comes to challenging your home’s energy efficiency and performance.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fans. Many don’t know that your ceiling fans can be just as effective in keeping you comfortable during the colder fall and winter months as they can be during the summer. Ceiling fans have two different directional settings that can be easily switched back in forth. During the summer, the fan should spin counter-clockwise, pushing the air down and creating a cooling effect. During the colder months, you can change the switch to cause the fan to spin clockwise, which creates an upward flow of air in the room. This recirculates warm air that has risen and sends it back down, making the room more efficient and taking some of the load off your heating supply.
- Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors (or combinations of the two if you have them) are in proper working order. Change the batteries during this time of year even if you’ve tested the unit and they are working. Remember, the team at Bel Red can help you determine and install the most comprehensive smoke and CO detection for your home. Just give us a call to set up an appointment.
- Check your backup generator now. If your home uses a backup generator for when the power goes out, it’s probably a good idea to start it up now to make sure it’s in working order. You don’t want to be caught out in the cold trying to start or fix it with no luck. Also, make sure you have set aside some gas if it’s a separate unit to ensure you’re ready for when you need it.
This series has outlined just a few of the many steps you can take to make sure your house is ready for the colder months ahead.. At Bel Red, we’re all about high home performance and saving you energy (and money!). Don’t hesitate to reach out if you’d like a personalized assessment of the best ways you can prepare for the cold months ahead with Bel Red’s help.
If you’ve ever experienced water damage of any kind in your home, you know it can be disastrous and extremely expensive. Many water problems in homes don’t come from floods, storms or other problems outside, but caused by issues inside the home. Faulty or old plumbing can lead to big water problems in the home. If you think your plumbing needs a fix—small or large—it’s always a good idea to call a licensed professional to help you fix a severe (or potentially severe) issue. However, there are a few steps you can take to avoid a big problem, which we’ve listed below in part 2 of this blog series. Enjoy!
Tip 5 – Insulate your exposed pipes. In areas where pipes are exposed and not within conditioned or heated areas of the home, such as the basement or attic, it’s a good idea to insulate the pipes. This will help reduce the potential for pipes bursting in the winter due to freezing water inside. It will also keep your plumbing working efficiently and provide an extra layer of protection from damage.
Tip 6 – Expand your toolkit. It’s obviously important that every homeowner has at least a basic toolkit. However, for plumbing jobs and repairs, there are a lot of unique and necessary tools to have on hand. Even simple plumbing jobs may require special tools, so be mindful of that before getting started if you’re doing something yourself. Don’t have the right tools or want to make the investment? Professional plumbers like ours here at Bel Red have everything to take care of plumbing jobs—both simple and complex.
Tip 7 – Hire a professional for a plumbing inspection. Just like with home energy audits and inspections that we’ve discussed on the blog in the past, qualified plumbing professionals also do comprehensive inspections on your home’s plumbing system, including all pipes, faucets, drains and more. Inspections like these, when done by an honest plumbing team, can help prevent big, expensive problems in the future and give you peace of mind.
As is the case with any home improvement project, it’s best to have complete knowledge of the project and potential hazards or mishaps before taking a crack at anything yourself. Especially when it comes to plumbing and potential water hazards in the home, these are issues you absolutely want to avoid. If you don’t feel 100% comfortable with the job, call in a professional like one of our qualified plumbers at Bel Red to help.