Here at BelRed, home safety is one of our top priorities for our customers. We understand that much of the work that goes along with home energy improvements can potentially be dangerous and should be coupled with proper safety precautions. There are also certain improvements that a homeowner can take to improve the general level of safety in the home.
In this series, we’re outlining ways to make your home safe for you and your loved one when it comes to home energy improvements and topics.
- Prevent excessive dust & allergens in the home. With poor ventilation, the home’s indoor air quality can decrease significantly. Proper installation and maintenance of your home’s energy system can keep air quality high indoors. If dust and allergens are floating around the air in your home, the chance of respiratory issues, especially to those with preexisting allergies, is very high. Dust and allergens can be harmful to one’s lungs and cause potentially severe breathing issues for you or your family.
- Remove mold & asbestos from your home. Black mold and asbestos can be extremely dangerous to the wellbeing of your family. Asbestos is a mineral that’s been used in countless products over the years – from wallboard and insulation to small appliances – to take advantage of its sound, fire and thermal-resistance properties. It happens that this mineral is extremely harmful to humans, potentially causing severe respiratory and nervous system damage. Especially if you are making home improvements to walls and insulation, be sure to have the existing structure checked for asbestos. Black mold can have similarly dangerous effects on you or your family. Mold in the home is often cause by poor insulation or bad air flow and ventilation that cause excessive moisture. If you see mold (especially black in color), be sure to address it right away. Most mold and mold spores can be cleaned and killed with either soapy water mixtures or, in extreme cases, water and bleach mixtures.
- Ensure ductwork is properly sealed. Leaky ductwork can allow harmful (and potentially lethal) carbon monoxide to enter your home. Duct leaks create pressure changes in the air, which can cause backdrafting. This occurs when harmful exhaust from your water heater or furnace gets sucked into the ducts and brought into your house instead of safely outside. As an additional precaution against harmful carbon monoxide, always make sure your carbon monoxide detector is in proper working order and has working batteries.
As mentioned, the trained, knowledgeable and courteous staff here at BelRed places the safety of its customers first. We can help guide you down the path to a safer, more efficient home. If you’re uncertain about the overall safety of your home, contact us today to schedule an appointment.Tags: energy safety, energy safety tips, Home energy, home safety, home safety tips, Safety