It’s an unfortunate fact that the winter months bring higher risk and more reported cases of carbon monoxide related illness and even death. It can’t be stated enough how important it is to know how to keep yourself and your family safe from the harms of this deadly gas. Below, we’ve outlined a few helpful reminders so you can be as educated as possible about the dangers and threats of carbon monoxide.

  • Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms aren’t always easily identifiable. Many of the symptoms that come with CO poisoning can easily be confused with common flu symptoms such as headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea or others. These symptoms can also come on extremely quickly. People who are sleeping often don’t feel any symptoms before it’s too late. Not knowing when you’re being affected by this harmful gas is the biggest reason why it is so important to have the proper equipment to detect CO in your home.
  • CO is impossible to detect without proper equipment. As stated in the previous post, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. Without a carbon monoxide detector, it’s impossible to know whether or not carbon monoxide has been produced and is present in your home. A good detector is the only way to help prevent CO poisoning or worse.
  • All people are at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. While CO may more quickly affect elderly or young children more quickly or with lower levels of concentration, carbon monoxide is dangerous for everyone. More than 20,000 people in the US alone make visits to the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning and exposure.
  • You can help prevent the problem before it starts. There are many precautions, especially during this time of year, that can be taken to ensure your home is free from carbon monoxide and the dangers that come along with it. Maintaining your heating system properly and ensuring good ventilation in your home are two major steps you can take to prevent CO danger in your home. If you have to use a generator this winter because of a power outage, make sure it’s outside and not housed indoors or in the garage. Always make sure your car is outside before warming it up (or at the very least make sure the garage door is fully open).

If you feel your home is at risk, it’s a great idea to have a comprehensive home performance and safety inspection. Carbon Monoxide risk is a topic that can’t be taken lightly. If you’d like to schedule an appointment with BelRed to have us help evaluate your risks and customized steps you can take to avoid this silent killer, contact us today.

Tags: , , , , ,