Spring is here and that means time to start checking items off your home improvement checklist. As a homeowner, you probably have a long list with many different categories to check and fix in the Spring. Hopefully, one of these categories is plumbing. It’s important to properly maintain plumbing fixtures and features to ensure you don’t have any water problems in the year ahead. To make things a bit easier, we’ve created this Spring Plumbing Checklist with helpful tips and reminders for your plumbing maintenance and inspection.
· Check all faucets for dripping or leaks. Sealing or tightening fixtures can help save a lot of water.
· Check the temperature on your water heater. It should be set to no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent scalding and burns.
· Test your sump pump to ensure it’s working properly. Drop a few buckets full of water into the drain area. The pump should quickly turn on and get rid of the excess water.
· Test all toilets for proper flushing. If they seem to be running excessively after flushing, you may need new tank parts. No need to worry – these are inexpensive parts that can greatly reduce your water usage.
· Check toilets for hidden leaks. If you drop a few drops of food coloring to the water, you’ll quickly be able to identify problems areas if leaks exist. Seal these leaks or replace necessary parts.
· Clean your gutters. Cleaning gutters can greatly reduce the chance for water problems such as basement or roof leaks. Gutters are there for a purpose - taking the time to do this now can save some potentially big headaches.