Bel Red Energy Blog
Although often overlooked, your home’s crawl space is one of the most crucial areas to monitor if you want to maintain a healthy and well-functioning home. Crawl spaces can be the source of many issues affecting your living space including mold and moisture damage, increased heating and cooling costs, compromised air quality and even pest problems. If you’ve never considered having a crawl space inspection, it may be time to change your mind. Here’s a look at just a few of the benefits that come from having a healthy crawl space.
- Remove Moisture. A primary concern with crawl spaces is their ability to attract water. Moisture found naturally in the ground, rainwater, and condensation (which we have a lot of in Seattle!) increase the humidity in your crawl space and can in turn seep into your walls and floors, causing them to rot, sag and warp. If your crawl space is protected against moisture correctly, you won’t need to give these issues a second thought.
- Pay Less on Energy Bills. Crawl spaces that are properly insulated and maintained will prevent unwanted hot air in the summer or cold air in the winter from entering your home, meaning your heating and cooling equipment does not have to operate more than it should. Homeowners often spend an obscene amount of money heating and cooling their home, but those who maintain a healthy and insulated crawl space have reported experiencing 30-50% savings on their energy bills.
- Improve Your Home’s Air Quality. The condition of your crawl space directly affects your quality of life. Improper crawl space management can invite mold, pollutants, allergens and more to work its way into your home where you and your family members breathe them in. When your crawl space is taken care of, both moisture and temperature are controlled thus eliminating the possibilities of dry rot, mildew, mold and more. You can rest easy knowing you and your loved ones are breathing clean, safe air.
- Eliminate Pests. With a hole the size of a dime, clever critters like rats, snakes, termites and skunks can sneak in and claim your crawl space as their own. As you can imagine, the combination of rot, dead wood, animal waste and dead animals can lead to an unpleasant odor seeping up through the floorboards. Animals and insects leave droppings behind to fester and affect your home’s air quality and can curiously nibble on exposed electrical wires and insulation. When you have your crawl space inspected and sealed professionally, you are taking the best defense possible against rodents and insects sneaking into your space.
Do you want to improve the health of your home’s crawl space but aren’t sure where to start? Contact one the professionals at BelRed today to learn about what we offer including crawl space inspection, heater repair service, heat pump installation, plumbing repair service and more!
Did you know the amount of heat that escapes the average home is equivalent to leaving a window open every day for one year? Often due to poor sealing and insulation, this lost heat can cause your heating or cooling bill to skyrocket. Proper sealing and insulation protect against leaks both in and out, optimizing your home’s efficiency, comfort, and air quality. Below are some of the main reasons we recommend sealing and insulating your home:
- Save Money and Energy
Many homes are guilty of a large number of air leaks. As heating and cooling comprise the majority of your utility bills, poor insulation is going to force that number up significantly as your heater works harder to make up for the wasted warmth. Most heat is lost through poorly insulated walls, roofs and attics, and windows and doors, with a small percentage leaking through floors. Experts estimate that insulating only the walls can limit heat loss by up to 2/3, with financial savings up to 40% should the entire home be properly insulated and sealed.
- Increase Comfort
It shouldn’t be a surprise that the better insulated your home, the more comfortable you’ll be. Not only will they aid with temperature, but insulation and sealing can reduce external noise pollution and improve humidity and moisture control.
- Protect Your Home
While taking some of the workload off of your heater or air conditioner can help extend its lifespan, insulation and sealing can also protect your house. You can keep insects, pests, dust, pollen and other pollutants from entering your home. Mold and mildew will be minimized, improving air quality and reducing the risk of allergies.
- Reduce Your Environmental Footprint
Insulating your home is one of the best ways to conserve energy, more so than turning off lights, unplugging appliances or switching to efficient light bulbs. Not only will you use less energy for heating and cooling, but fewer chemicals will be released by air conditioning units.
Have a question about sealing and insulation? Our HVAC installation and repair experts can help identify air leaks and leaky ducts and install insulation in problematic areas. Contact BelRed today to learn about our services, including heating repair, heat pump installation and ductless heating pumps.
Everyone has that one room. No matter how hard you try, it’s always too hot or too cold and you end up spending time and money trying to combat it only to realize that nothing you do is making a difference. Luckily, Mitsubishi ductless mini-split heat pumps offer single-room solutions to heat or cool that one troublesome area to keep your entire home comfortable and consistently heated.
Ductless heating systems use internal units, usually mounted high on the wall, and an external unit, where the condenser is located, that are connected by a conduit. Efficient and easy to install, they can target a specific room where the temperature has been impossible to regulate. These systems can also be great for livable attics or basements, sun rooms, garages used as livable space, and rooms not used frequently, such as guest rooms or rec rooms.
These systems also allow you to create endlessly customizable home zoning, eliminating your reliance on one thermostat controlling the temperature for the entire house. Instead, you’ll only heat or cool specific areas of your home when you need to use them. You’ll save money, not just from reducing how many rooms you’re heating or cooling at a given time, but also from higher energy-efficiency than traditional window units. The units only use the amount of energy necessary to maintain comfort and automatically adjust when conditions change. You can expect up to see a 40% improvement in efficiency, one that will be reflected in your reduced energy bill.
Ductless heating systems adjust your home’s temperature to meet your unique needs, offering you a flexible alternative to other heating and cooling options.
Room too hot or too cold? Heating bills higher than they should be? If you have electric baseboard or in-wall heaters, switching to ductless mini-split heat pumps can help reduce costs and improve your heater’s efficiency. Instead of relying on ducts to deliver heat and air conditioning to different areas of your home, these bring air directly to a given area and provide higher-quality temperature control and air filtration.
Below are our reasons for why switching to a ductless Mitsubishi Heating & Cooling system may be the best option for you:
- They’re Simple to Install: Comprising of indoor units and an outdoor unit, ductless mini-splits can be installed in as little as one day and are less invasive to the structure of the house. Only a small, three-inch hole needs to be drilled into the wall, which reduces the threat of air leakage.
- They’re More Energy Efficient: With ducts, the average home loses 25% of potential energy to moving air throughout the duct system. Ductless models convert that energy to ensure your home is being heated and cooled to your preference. In contrast to other heaters, they have inverter-driven compressors, which means that they adjust their speed depending on what the system requires, rather than shutting off entirely and going through an energy-draining start-up process. This also means that they have a more positive environmental impact.
- They’re More Cost Efficient: One of the biggest reasons your utility bills may start to climb is because your heating system is inefficient. Switching to a ductless option not only results in higher efficiency, but by using the multi-split system, you can choose to only heat or cool occupied rooms. Although ductless mini-splits may be more expensive up front, their long-term savings will offset the initial cost. Homeowners might also be eligible for utility rebates and tax credits.
- They’ll Keep Your Air Cleaner: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, air pollution is a major environmental health risk for Americans, with the quality of indoor air often being poorer than what’s outdoors. Traditional heating and cooling systems need regular maintenance to keep the air clean, though pollutants can still be left in the atmosphere. Ductless systems provide multi-stage filtration that significantly cuts down on dirt, pollen, and molecules.
BelRed is proud to be a Mitsubishi Top Contractor. Our accreditation and training let us offer you the best service and maintenance for your Mitsubishi product.Questions about ductless mini-splits?
Environmental concerns and astronomical energy bills have increased awareness about more efficient heating and cooling sources. In May 2013, the U.S. Department of Energy issued that all furnaces must convert at least 80 percent of their fuel into heat, or annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE), but older models may operate at around 65 percent, meaning 35% of the fuel is wasted. However, high-efficiency furnaces have between a 90 to 95 percent AFUE, using less fuel and reducing your heating bills and environmental footprint. Here are a few of the benefits of high-efficiency furnaces to help you determine if they’re the right heating solution for you.
- The savings can be significant
Though purchasing a new furnace can be expensive, depending on the change in AFUE, you can be looking at savings up to 30% and the furnace will pay for itself after a few years. However, it is important to remember that some construction may be required to accommodate drain lines and the additional CVC vent pipe found in high-efficiency furnaces. A high-efficiency furnace is an investment, but one that will be better for your wallet in the long run.
- The furnace may last longer
High-efficiency furnaces have a built-in system that removes moisture inside the heat exchanger and they are built to withstand chemical buildup. They also have a more economical on-and-off cycling program so they last longer, as long as they’re properly maintained. It is still important, though, to make sure you understand the warranty accompanying your particular system.
- They’ll boast a higher level of performance
A newer machine means newer technology so you’ll benefit from advances in gas valves and sound-absorbing materials. Your furnace will provide better and more consistent heating from room to room, but the noise will be almost non-existent.
- The air flow is better
With variable speed motors, your heat will be uniform throughout your home. While you’ll be more comfortable, you’ll also be breathing healthier air — the newer filtration systems will remove mold, dust, and other air impurities that could cause allergies or other irritations.
- They’re significantly better for the environment
By using one-third of the fuel your old furnace did, high-efficiency models have lower carbon dioxide emissions and help conserve natural resources.
Have a question about high-efficiency furnaces or curious if an upgrade is right for you? Contact BelRed today to learn more about our services and products, including heating repair, HVAC installation, and ductless heating pumps.